David Forrester Wilson (1873-1950)
David Forrester Wilson (1873-1954) was the son of a lithographer. He was born in Glasgow and educated at a private seminary before moving to Gorbals Public School. He went on to study at the Glasgow School of Art from 1892-3 and 1899-1906 under leading Belgian symbolist painter, Jean Delville, rising to become Head of Drawing and Painting in 1932, a post which he held until 1938 prior to his death in 1950. His works appear in some of the most prestigious collections around the world. Andy Warhol owned several of Wilson’s works, with ‘The Wind’ supposedly one of his favourite paintings. ‘The Wind’ would go on to fetch a sum of $110,000 -10 times its presale estimate of $10,000 - when it was auctioned off along with a number of Warhol ‘treasures’ in a landmark sale of his estate at Sotheby’s back in May of 1988 just over a year after the Pop Art pioneer passed away. He exhibited at the Royal Scottish Academy throughout his life Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum is also home to Wilson’s ‘Faggots’, a work the Glasgow Corporation purchased for the sum £150 in 1915, the equivalent of around £17,000 in today’s money. Elected ARSA 1922, RSA 1932. Frequent exhibitor at RSA.