Clifford Hall (1904-1973)
|Artist Name||Clifford Hall (1904-1973)|
|Title||The Caledonian Market Islington|
|Description||This early Impressionist oil on board is by British artist Clifford Hall. The painting is of the Caledonian Market in Islington, London in 1932 which is now a flower market. Figures browse the street market stalls with industrial London behind.
Originally called the Metropolitan Cattle Market and later Caledonian Market, it is situated just off the Caledonian Road, Islington. It was built by the City of London Corporation and was opened in June 1855 by Prince Albert.
Signed and dated '32. Also titled and dated verso.
|Provenance||Belgrave Gallery London|
|Medium||Oil on Board|
|Size||6 x 8 inches|
|Frame||Housed in a frame with mount and slip, 11 inches by 9 inches approx and in good condition.|
|Biography||Clifford Eric Martin Hall, RBA, ROI, (1904-1973) was a British painter of street scenes and bohemian life. Born in Wandsworth, London, he was educated first at Elm Tree House School, then Richmond Hill School from 1914, followed by King's College School, Wimbledon. In the 1920s he studied at Richmond Art School under Charles Wheeler and at Putney Art School under Stanley Anderson. From 1925 to 1927 he studied at the Royal Academy schools on a Landseer Scholarship and accepted small portrait commissions which together funded his studies and lodgings in Twickenham. He was influenced by Charles Sims and Walter Sickert. From 1928 he lived in Paris where he shared a studio in Malakoff with Edwin John, son of Augustus John. Through John he was introduced to the Montparnasse district. He studied under Andre Lhote.Hall returned to England in the 1930s where he painted local scenes in Soho and elsewhere. From 1940 he painted Quentin Crisp three times but the current whereabouts of these works is unknown. He joined a stretcher party near Lots Road during the Second World War and made independent submissions to the War Artists Advisory Committee. Some of his drawings from that period depicting the effects of air raids are in the Imperial War Museum. The contents of Hall's studio were sold post-mortem in 1982 by Christie's in London and his paintings were thereby fairly widely distributed. They may be found in many British institutional collections, some foreign collections, and appear at auction. Hall exhibited with the Royal Society of Portrait Painters, the Royal Academy, the Royal Institute of Oil Painters, the New English Art Club, the Royal Society of British Artists, the London Group, and the National Society of Painters, Sculptors and Gravers. Among galleries, Hall had a one-man exhibition at Helen Lessore's Beaux Arts Gallery in 1935 and after the end of the Second World War, at Roland, Browse and Delbanco (1946, 1947, 1950), the Anthony d’Offay Gallery, the Ashgrove Gallery, the Redfern Gallery, Goupil Gallery, and the Leicester Galleries (1952). A memorial exhibition was held at the Belgrave Gallery in 1977.